This proved successful and subsequent engines were purchased with the names ‘Cleobury Mortimer’ , ‘Utopia’ and ‘Granite’. During this time the engines purchased were from such manufacturers as Ransomes , Simms and Jeffries , Fowlers and Aveling and Porter.
The business continued in the Edwards family until 1920 when family disagreements led to the sale of the business and one of the sons of Mr JW Edwards , Frederick George Edwards purchased the business and renamed it ‘FG Edwards and Co’.
Times were changing , heavy steel drum steam engines were no longer acceptable on the public highway due to the damage they were doing to the infrastructure so weight limits were introduced and the move towards rubber tyred steam rollers began. Frederick saw opportunities arising from this and in 1922/23 he renamed the business ‘The Clee Hill Transport and Rolling Company’ and proceeded to update the haulage and rolling fleet and offer plant and vehicles for hire for the first time. Further challenges were encountered in the early 1930’s with the move from steam to diesel engines and the need to modernise with such engine manufacturers as Armstrong Saurers , Leyland and Bedfords.